Ok, well maybe not famous, but the Summer of Pie did make the newspaper — not too shabby. This is probably not news to most of you, since I’m guessing you’re here because of the story… so, Welcome to the Summer of pie!
I have to say the response to the story was tremendous and I’ve had a flood of great emails. I’ll get back to all of you who wrote in with questions and requests for the full Capownie recipe (you guys are nuts! And fantastic.) as soon as I can. I thought I’d take a minute here to answer some of the more common questions:
- Yes, I really do make a different pie every week, all summer. And no, I will not be repeating any pies I made last year. There are way too many wonderful options out there to start getting repetitive now.
- I often bake on Sundays, so new recipes usually go up on Monday night, Tuesday if I’m really stumped for something witty to say.
- The Capownie absolutely counts as “pie” as it has TWO fully complete pies baked into the cakes. I will give you that it also counts as cake, that’s the beauty of it. Everyone wins!
- Yes, the contest is real! I really will give you a freshly baked pie if you win. No strings. I’m not collecting names for nefarious purposes, my nephew (the “picker”) doesn’t even read well yet. It’s just that, as I’ve said, everyone loves pie and I thought it would be fun to share and get to meet some fellow dessert lovers. And, honestly, as much as I do love pie, fifteen pies in as many weeks is a lot of pie to try to eat. I need all the help I can get. Please enter if you haven’t already!
- Yes, technically I lost the pie challenge with the Memorial Union’s Fudge Bottom Pie, but there was a lot of controversy and I’m hoping for a rematch. It’s a great recipe, and was the crowd favorite, so I do hope my loss will not keep you from giving it a go.
- Yes, I really did lose a bunch of weight and I really do eat everything I make, I just don’t eat all of it (sometimes this is challenging). Good food is one of life’s great joys, and I never believed that being a healthy weight means you have to live a life of deprivation. Life is short, you gotta enjoy it. I also run. That helps.
I should probably make a FAQ for these and whatever questions come up in the future, but for now I’ll just do this and thank everyone for their interest in the blog and enthusiasm for pie. I’m a big bossy baker and love to give advice or, occasionally, take some, so keep the questions coming!
That’s it for now. I’m excited! I just picked up some bison meat from the Farmer’s Market, so look for a delicious savory English pub pie in the next couple of days. It’s going to be a great summer and I hope you get to be a part of it. I’d love to know if you make any of the recipes listed here, send pics of your pies and I’ll post them with your name!
Have a sweet summer guys!